A downhome Spanish-y dish I guess. I used thighs but I chopped them up and cooked them for a bit less time but the basic idea is still there.
Arroz con Pollo
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs (skin on)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, peeled and minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 3/4 cup rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add chicken, skin side down, until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken, and cook on opposite side about 3 minutes. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion, and cook until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, and red bell pepper. Scrape the bottom of the pot removing any of the chicken fat pieces then add spices: cumin, tumeric, paprika, saffron, crushed red pepper, a teaspoon of salt and mix.
- Pour in rice with a good stir to get completely covered.
- Place chicken atop of rice mixture, and pour enough chicken stock to cover the rice, about 2 cups.
- Bring the pot to a simmer and then reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for about 45 to 50 minutes, and until rice is tender. Add stock during the cooking process as needed but no more than 2 more cups (4 total).
Mab Made Food http://www.mabdese.net/bento/