Easy, cheap, and delicious chana masala should be a staple in most peoples homes. It’s infinitely customizable with whatever vegetables you have on hand.
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2-4 green chillies, finely chopped, seeds and all
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan over a medium heat and when hot, add the cumin seeds. Fry until aromatic, stirring, then add the onion and turn the heat down. Cook until golden brown, stirring regularly.
- Add the other seaonings in to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring so it doesn't stick.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas, vegetables (if using any( and salt. Bring to a simmer, then turn down the heat to medium low and cook for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve hot.
Mab Made Food http://www.mabdese.net/bento/